Saturday, September 13, 2008

It took 5,626 miles of separation for me to find myself, and this is who I became when I left home

I see something building up inside me that wasn't there before. It cries out loudest from the smallest part of my soul. It cries out for love, purpose, and REAL friendships. This new perspective is swallowing me whole. I am able to be who I want to be. I will be who I am and unashamedly. I will say what I think and without fear. I will love like I want to be loved and wholeheartedly.
I find as I get older the years get shorter. The time is speeding past and my fingers seem to be losing their grip. With a positive attitude I seek to see the good in this. Now, I value every moment I have more. I value every conversation with friends, whether 3 hours or 3 minutes. I treasure the little things; they add so much to my life- the occasional letter to a friend, sunny days that carry a delightful breeze, climbing the jetties at midnight, and seeing someone for the first time in 2 years. My heart gets unnaturally giddy thinking of the small, yet meaningful moments in my life. Some would consider them unworthy of noting, I don't. The small moments build up to big moments, the big moments gradually grow bigger, and these bigger moments define my life. I will be defined by the little deeds- the uttering of kind words to a stranger, the selflessness of giving yourself to others, the desperately needed hug you gave unknowingly just because you felt they should be hugged solely because of who they are. These moments will define me. They will form the thoughts and ideas said of me when I am gone. They will be the vestiges of me left for others to consider thoughtfully. What will they say of you?
All I want is that they say: I gave like no one else gave, I lived like no one else lived, and I loved like no one else loved. Undoubtedly this may not be what is said of me, but if I attempt to live up to this standard, just maybe I will affect the world as best I can. I will give as best I can, I will live as best I can, and I will love as best I can. And well, maybe, just maybe, my best will be enough for me, because I gave it my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment