Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Oh goodness, this will kill me.

Today was like any other day. I woke up in the same bed, the same room, the same apartment. That familiar domicile that I have temporarily given the title home. I glanced out of the kitchen, and I saw the same view, the same trees, the same sky.
This familiarity is comfortable. This familiarity is mundane.

I walked along the same streets I always do. I saw the well-known faces, and made the occasional wave just to let them know that they alone stood out to me among the ever-moving throng of people.
This familiarity is repetitive. This familiarity is tiring.

I follow the same weekly schedule. Class times are predetermined. The remaining hours of the day belong to the ever-constant flow of incoming papers and tests. I look forward to the weekends when things have a greater possibility of breaking from the norm, yet oftentimes they don't.
This familiarity is predictable. This familiarity will kill me.

Do you remember the day you stood over that young boy’s grave and said to yourself, “I won’t waste it. I won’t take it for granted, like I used to. I won’t live it like everyone else- following the routine. I won’t. I won’t,” you said with determination. As the tears rolled down your cheeks, you turned your back to that plot of freshly dug earth, and you made promises to yourself. And although everything has changed, the time has finally come. It’s time to keep your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment